Skip to main content

Florida Career College to Close

Florida Career College to Close Doug Lederman Fri, 01/26/2024 - 03:00 AM Byline(s) Doug Lederman from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/avZRfLi

Zooming from the Office

 

I knew something was different when I had to leave work early to get home in time for a Zoom meeting.

 

That happened last week a few times.  I had 5:30 Zoom calls several nights in a row, and I live about a half-hour from campus.  So I left a little early in order to be able to be online in time to keep working into the evening.

 

Until 2020, that paragraph wouldn’t have made any sense.  Yet, here we are.

 

I had to smile at this Washington Post piece about going to the office, only to spend the day on Zoom.  The part about wearing pants isn’t quite right -- I do that anyway -- but I’ll admit often being shoeless when Zooming from home.  No need for dress shoes in the house.

 

Oddly -- and this comes up in the Post piece, too -- the wifi is more reliable at home than in my office.  I’ve had to run office Zoom calls on my phone’s hotspot a few times just to stop the video from freezing.  (To be fair, that hasn’t happened in a couple of weeks.)  

 

I’ve been in a few meetings when someone from an adjoining office -- literally a shared wall -- is in the same meeting.  There’s a stereophonic effect that’s slightly disconcerting, since the audio lag is just long enough to be noticeable. But when everyone else in the meeting is at a greater distance, it’s the way to go.

 

There’s something uncanny about driving a half-hour to an office only to spend much of the day on Zoom.  It has some value, though, assuming that there are at least some gaps.

 

Zoom works really well for certain kinds of scheduled interactions, but it’s not great for serendipity.  Spontaneous discussions matter.  Last week I stumbled upon a couple of colleagues talking in an office that led to an exploratory conversation that actually led to some great ideas.  I was literally walking past the office when I saw them in there, door open, chatting away; discussion ensued.  That sort of serendipitous interaction is much less likely on Zoom.  Hallway conversations and standing-in-the-door small talk are part of building rapport and community.

 

Some colleagues use the office as an escape from home.  (Arlie Russell Hochschild wrote an entire book, The Time Bind, about that.)  In those cases, even spending the entire day on the office computer at least allows an excuse to get out of the house.  That’s not my situation, I’m happy to say, but I can’t argue with anyone who sees the relative quiet and calm of the office as a working respite.  When the kids were younger, there were times that I was glad to have the relative quiet of the office.  

 

Walking around campus during gaps in meetings is helpful, too, in getting a sense of the pulse of the campus.  I’ve noticed, for instance, that even with more classes being offered virtually, the hallways are still busiest on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Some things don’t change.

 

We’re still forming the etiquette around hybrid work arrangements.  I hope that we don’t move too quickly to jettison them and forget everything we’ve learned over the last couple of years; there’s much to be gained from a bit of flexibility.  We just haven’t quite found the right mix yet.















 

Show on Jobs site: 
Disable left side advertisement?: 
Is this diversity newsletter?: 
Is this Career Advice newsletter?: 
Advice Newsletter publication dates: 
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Diversity Newsletter publication date: 
Tuesday, September 28, 2021


from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/3D0beLX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Middle School So Hard for So Many People?

Middle school. The very memory of it prompts disgust. Here’s a thing no one’s thinking: Geez, I wish I still looked the way I did when I was 12. Middle school is the worst. Tweenhood, which starts around age 9 , is horrifying for a few reasons. For one, the body morphs in weird and scary ways. Certain parts expand faster than others, sometimes so fast that they cause literal growing pains; hair grows in awkward locations, often accompanied by awkward smells. And many kids face new schools and a new set of rules for how to act, both socially and academically. But middle school doesn’t have to be like this. It could be okay. It could be good , even. After all, middle schoolers are “kind of the best people on Earth,” says Mayra Cruz, the principal of Oyster-Adams Bilingual School, a public middle school in Washington, D.C. The notion that middle school deserves its own educational ecosystem at all dates back to the 1960s , with a campaign to better accommodate the specific learning ne...

The global significance of fossil fuel divestment (opinion)

Warning lights are flashing. “It’s now or never, if we want to limit global warming to 1.5°C (2.7°F),” cautioned Jim Skea, the co-chair of the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change working group on climate change mitigation. “Without immediate and deep emissions reduction across all sectors, it will be impossible.” The IPCC states unequivocally in its April 2022 report that human behaviors have warmed the globe, and that—to limit warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius—drastic action is needed to cut greenhouse gas emissions 43 percent by 2030. This will require “a substantial reduction in fossil fuel use … and [increased] use of alternative fuels.” Universities and colleges throughout the world have been responding to the crisis. Scholars have carried out essential climate research from a variety of disciplinary perspectives, students have mobilized to push universities toward divestment from fossil fuels and alumni have joined the movement, even launching ...