Skip to main content

Florida Career College to Close

Florida Career College to Close Doug Lederman Fri, 01/26/2024 - 03:00 AM Byline(s) Doug Lederman from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/avZRfLi

Michigan Coach Slaps Wisconsin Assistant Coach

The University of Michigan’s head coach for the men’s basketball team, Juwan Howard, slapped Joe Krabbenhoft, a University of Wisconsin at Madison assistant coach, in the head during the postgame handshake line, leading to a scrum between the two teams, The New York Times reported.

The altercation followed Wisconsin’s 77-to-63 victory over Michigan Sunday afternoon.

Howard was angry over Wisconsin calling a time-out as the game was finishing, with Wisconsin way ahead.

There are already calls for Michigan to fire Howard.

The Big Ten announced that Howard would be suspended for five games, the rest of the regular season, and would also pay a fine of $40,000. "Our expectation is that the incident yesterday will provide our coaches and student-athletes with the opportunity to reflect, learn and move forward in a manner that demonstrates decorum and leadership on and off of the court," said Commissioner Kevin Warren of the Big Ten.

Howard issued an apology Monday night. "After taking time to reflect on all that happened, I realize how unacceptable both my actions and words were, and how they affected so many. I am truly sorry," he said. "I am offering my sincerest apology to my players and their families, my staff, my family and the Michigan fans around the world. I would like to personally apologize to Wisconsin's Assistant Coach Joe Krabbenhoft and his family, too. Lastly, I speak a lot about being a Michigan man and representing the University of Michigan with class and pride, I did not do that, nor did I set the right example in the right way for my student-athletes. I will learn from my mistake and this mistake will never happen again. No excuses!"

 

Ad keywords: 
Is this diversity newsletter?: 
Disable left side advertisement?: 
Is this Career Advice newsletter?: 
Live Updates: 
liveupdates0


from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/5s6UrCk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Middle School So Hard for So Many People?

Middle school. The very memory of it prompts disgust. Here’s a thing no one’s thinking: Geez, I wish I still looked the way I did when I was 12. Middle school is the worst. Tweenhood, which starts around age 9 , is horrifying for a few reasons. For one, the body morphs in weird and scary ways. Certain parts expand faster than others, sometimes so fast that they cause literal growing pains; hair grows in awkward locations, often accompanied by awkward smells. And many kids face new schools and a new set of rules for how to act, both socially and academically. But middle school doesn’t have to be like this. It could be okay. It could be good , even. After all, middle schoolers are “kind of the best people on Earth,” says Mayra Cruz, the principal of Oyster-Adams Bilingual School, a public middle school in Washington, D.C. The notion that middle school deserves its own educational ecosystem at all dates back to the 1960s , with a campaign to better accommodate the specific learning ne...

Academic Minute: Race and National Identity in France

Today on the Academic Minute : Katelyn Knox, associate professor in the department of languages, linguistics, literatures and cultures at the University of Central Arkansas, explores how to fight racism in a purportedly postracial society. Learn more about the Academic Minute here . Is this diversity newsletter?:  Hide by line?:  Disable left side advertisement?:  Is this Career Advice newsletter?:  Trending:  Live Updates:  liveupdates0 from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/3eJSeqm