Skip to main content

Florida Career College to Close

Florida Career College to Close Doug Lederman Fri, 01/26/2024 - 03:00 AM Byline(s) Doug Lederman from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/avZRfLi

On Seeing Former Colleagues

 

I recently got to reunite with some former colleagues all at once.  They were a great group when we worked together, but I hadn’t seen them (and vice versa) in a while.

 

We caught up for probably about 45 minutes, of which at least 44 were devoted entirely to personal matters – spouses, kids, vacations, random observations of the universe.  (True example: “Shouldn’t Space Force camouflage be black?  There’s no foliage in space.”)  Almost none of it was about reminiscing, either.  It was just people who cared about each other as human beings talking to each other as human beings.

 

There’s something reassuring in that.

 

Part of the role of leaders – in my mind, a badly underrated part of the role – is setting a climate.  Positive workplace climates don’t just happen.  They’re cumulative results of paying attention to the right things over time.  For leaders, sometimes that involves self-control.  In my own case, for instance, I sometimes forget to sign paperwork.  But I know that about myself, so I gave my assistant the following direction: “No matter what face I make at the time, remind me when something needs to be signed.  I promise not to hold it against you.”  She took me at my word, and discovered that it was true. Over time, it became a bit of a running joke.  Things got signed on time, she felt safe in saying what needed to be said, and I aimed my frustration at myself for forgetting in the first place.

 

When I started one job years ago, I heard from several sources that one of my predecessors used to park in handicapped spaces when she was pressed for time.  It may have only happened a couple of times, but people noticed, and they drew conclusions from it.  They still talked about it years later, and always disapprovingly. There’s a sense of fairness that transcends your place in the organization.  Respecting that sense of fairness goes a long way.  In a sense, so does disrespecting it.

 

When I see former colleagues and we just immediately reconnect as people, I know something went right.  I don’t often see “establish a positive working climate” as a goal in job ads, but it’s a skill, and a relatively rare one.  If it isn’t in ads, it should be.






 

Show on Jobs site: 
Disable left side advertisement?: 
Is this diversity newsletter?: 
Is this Career Advice newsletter?: 
Advice Newsletter publication dates: 
Monday, December 19, 2022
Diversity Newsletter publication date: 
Monday, December 19, 2022


from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/y07mhD1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Middle School So Hard for So Many People?

Middle school. The very memory of it prompts disgust. Here’s a thing no one’s thinking: Geez, I wish I still looked the way I did when I was 12. Middle school is the worst. Tweenhood, which starts around age 9 , is horrifying for a few reasons. For one, the body morphs in weird and scary ways. Certain parts expand faster than others, sometimes so fast that they cause literal growing pains; hair grows in awkward locations, often accompanied by awkward smells. And many kids face new schools and a new set of rules for how to act, both socially and academically. But middle school doesn’t have to be like this. It could be okay. It could be good , even. After all, middle schoolers are “kind of the best people on Earth,” says Mayra Cruz, the principal of Oyster-Adams Bilingual School, a public middle school in Washington, D.C. The notion that middle school deserves its own educational ecosystem at all dates back to the 1960s , with a campaign to better accommodate the specific learning ne...

Academic Minute: Race and National Identity in France

Today on the Academic Minute : Katelyn Knox, associate professor in the department of languages, linguistics, literatures and cultures at the University of Central Arkansas, explores how to fight racism in a purportedly postracial society. Learn more about the Academic Minute here . Is this diversity newsletter?:  Hide by line?:  Disable left side advertisement?:  Is this Career Advice newsletter?:  Trending:  Live Updates:  liveupdates0 from Inside Higher Ed https://ift.tt/3eJSeqm